Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On Odes........

This week the students are going to learn how to write an ode.

An ode is a lyric poem, usually written in a formal, heightened style, and usually with a dignified theme. Its purpose is to praise and glorify. Almost all odes use the poetic device of apostrophe, where the speaker addresses something that can't speak back -- and inanimate object or an absent person. Our odes, of course, will be a little out of the ordinary.

Here's two that I wrote as models for the students.

Ode to Bugles

And you, crunchy Bugle,
are the cornucopia of my kitchen cupboard.
The moment I open the bright red box,
your aroma greets me and I’m transported
to the county fair
and the heavenly scent of roasted corn
fills my nostrils.
Greedily I grab for your pointed ends,
careful not to crush them,
like a giant swooping in for a handful
of tiny elves wearing their little cone-shaped hats.

You, Bugle, are the crisp golden delight
of my childhood.
Sometimes I would not even eat you,
until I had worn ten of you as fingernails,
crinkly and wizard-like at the ends of my hands,
only to devour you one by one,
fingertip by delicious fingertip.

Ode to Rice Krispy Treats

Truly, Rice Crispy Treat,
you are a treasure among snacks.
You are the perfect marriage –
a melting of marshmallow
joined with
a crackle of crisped rice –
and molded into golden bricks
of childhood memory.
With you, Rice Crispy Treat,
I see my mother at the stove,
a double boiler filled with a cloud of white,
while I waited nearby
with a wooden spoon
to stir you into existence.

Michael McIntyre
2010

2 comments:

  1. I love your ode to Bugles! Makes me hungry. I'll check back more to see what other junk foods you have praises for.

    Lisa Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cool... an easy way to know about odes... i like. now, to get some bugles!

    ReplyDelete