Wednesday, May 1, 2013


My Dog Harry

My dog Harry
loves it when -- on the back porch,
listening with me to the crickets --  
I slide him slivers of cheddar
from my paper plate.  He sits,
peering through the screened-in darkness,
and searches for backyard varmints
or wayward interloping cats.

My dog Harry
sits with me on the couch --
A Person of Interest flickering
in the colorblind distance --
and rests his chin upon my thigh,
heaving great sighs from time to time,
thoughts of squirrels perhaps,
or the collie at the dog park.

My dog Harry
lies on the carpet,
equidistant
from me at my desk
and where the children sleep
in their beds.  
I do not need a yardstick.

My dog Harry
wags his tail gale force
when he sees the red leash,
and leaps onto my legs
for his harness.  
He walks with me full gallop
and pees on every vertical surface --
bushes especially,
and our neighbors’ unsuspecting mailboxes.

--Michael McIntyre
Dacula, April 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment